Thursday, March 22, 2007

Running sneakers fill me with self-loathing

Lest we forget why I named this blog what I did, I went to the ankle doctor today. With the news that the second round of non-vicodin pain killers he put me on did nothing, he grabbed a doctor who happened to be in the office to consult me on my, ahem, issue. She proceeded to analyze my feet in new and fun ways.

Here is a list of things I know about my ankle now that I didn't know before:

1. Nerve damage. Major.
2. That clicking when I walk? Bad.
3. Chuck Taylor? The devil.
4. My new shoe of choice? Running shoes and loafers. Say goodbye fashion, hello frumpiness. See those amazing orange shoes? I bought them a week and a half ago. I can't wear them any more. I am heartbroken. I have wanted a pair of fluevog's for 3 years. I finally get a pair and now they become clost decorations.
5. I have the equivalent of carpel tunnel in my ankles.
6. Further surgery is probably inevitable.

At #6, I completely lost it and stopped listening. Burst into tears in front of this woman I've never seen before and now thinks I'm completely batshit insane. As I write this, I'm teetering again. All new (UGLY) shoes is shitty enough, cutting me open again is the epitome of not okay. Six scars on my feet is enough, thank you.

Good thing I'm going to play with my lovers in Boston, if anyone can relieve this (and make shopping for frumpy shoes fun), it's them.

1 comment:

Jamie F. said...

I've been experiencing ankle troubles too (due to my life as a klutz) and all I can say is Asics, Asics, Asics!!! They're not as stylin' as your Fluevogs...but you will see and feel a marked improvement.

See if your doc recommends Dansko shoes....they are kind of frumpy but some styles could be interpreted as cute.

Hang in there. <3